Friday 19 November 2010

Totally Papercrafts #43 Snow and Snowflakes

Morning everyone, have you all started your Christmas shopping?? I haven't got a thing yet - give it another week and I will be in full blown panic mode :-)
To keep your Christmas projects rolling along we have a great new challenge for you on Totally Papercrafts this week. I chose the theme, and I would like to see....

*SNOW AND SNOWFLAKES*

So, add some sparkly, glittery snow to your project, or a snowflake, or 2.    I can't wait to see what you come up with.    Check out the fabulous work of my teamies - they have done an awesome job this week. And pop over to Squigglefly, who are this week's sponsors, with 5 of their wonderful digis up for grabs.

Now, since December is fast approaching, I thought it was time to make an advent calendar for my girls. I have seen this idea, to use matchboxes, on my blogging travels and thought I would give it a go.




Here is what I started with - my design paper ( Memory Box ) and 24 small matchboxes, that were glued and taped together.
If anyone has any idea about what I can do with 10,000 loose matches, let me know!!   :-))

The Virgo in me is screaming that the matchboxes aren't perfectly lined up, but I shut her up with a chocolate biccy!!!

Once the matchboxes were all glued together, I added a piece of card to the top and bottom. I covered the matchbox sides with the same card and some design paper, using a different paper on the 'drawer' fronts, and adding a pearl brad to each one. The numbers are stickers.
Then I decorated the whole thing with some snowflakes cut on my Slice machine and covered with Diamond Dust. The cute penguin on the top is from this week's sponsor, Squigglefly.

Of course THE BEST thing about this project was researching the sweeties to go in the drawers. They are very small and I had to munch my way through a lot of rejected choccies. :-))  I finally came across a box of Milka chocs, where I could fit 2 in each drawer, with a few left over for sampling!!!


Finally, I added this cute Catslife Press stamp
to the bottom of the box.
I hope you give this project a go - it's really very easy, just a bit fiddly and time consuming, but I would love to see your versions.
xxx

18 comments:

debby4000 said...

Oh this is fabulous Caroline you deserved to sample the chocs for a job brilliantly done.
luv
Debby

Suzie Q said...

wow what a work of art and such a lovely idea beautifully decorated x
especially like the lil stamp on the bottom its fab x
hugs
Suzie qx

Sue said...

Hi ya hun
you need to change the name of ya blog!!! Keep It Simple??? This no look simple to me! lol.
This is totally awesome hun a gorgeous keepsake,luv it, have great weekend hun, sue,x

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline,
I was just about to say the same thing as Sue! This is amazing!!! xx

Anne said...

rofl I hopre the sweeties were worth it:)
It's gorgeous Caroline, you do this sort of thing sooooooo well
Anne x

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous !!!! absoluely GORGEOUSS !! everything is Gorgeous !!! :-) I need to make one of these !! as for the matches ,,, I have seen ships made with matches ,,, !!! :-) am sure you could make one !! :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Wishcraft said...

Oh I love it, love love love it!!! Fabulous creation... I want to make one now, looks a bit tricky for me though lol :o) Lisa x

Sally said...

Love it love it love it......hmmm as for the matches well not sure about that one! Dont know what else to say except its another great creation.
Hugs Sally xxx

Cecelia said...

Hello;0) This is fabulous! I absolutely love this! Not sure if I would have the patience for something like this but it sure does look great;0) I am also a Virgo and need things to be perfect. Drives my DH crazy sometimes...lol Hope you had a great week and enjoy your weekend.

Hugs
Cecelia B

Mel X said...

Hiya Caroline, a fabulous make chuck. I too need to make one of these. This is superb!

Mel X

Susan King said...

That is one awesome project. Great job!

Joey said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Hun this is just too bloomin good. Joey.xx

chrissy xx said...

WoW!! This is Fab. LOve it.
Chrissyxx

Emma said...

Stunning...no need to say more!!
Hugs Emma x

Julie said...

Fab project Caroline. A bit late for you I know but you can get plain white empty matchboxes from homecrafts direct.

Shirley said...

I love this little project! It's perfect for a teacher's gift or for the kids to keep in their rooms as advent calendars instead of the chocolate one( I find the chocolates are alway stale!) Thank you for inspiration!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing project, Caroline! I came across your blog by stumbling on your Virgo comment. It cracked me up! Yes, Virgo wants everything perfectly squared and fitted. And Virgo loves all those little boxes. Thanks for giving me lots of ideas on how to adapt this project to other uses and for giving me a smile.

Vivi47 said...

Super sympa a faire.