Monday 2 May 2011

Oranges and lemons say the bells of St Clements

Morning everyone... hope all those in the UK are enjoying their extra day off.  I had a mad moment yesterday and decided I wanted to grow my own veg. So I spent the day trying to break up the soil and weed a raised bed in the garden. This morning I can hardly walk!!

Here's a pic of this weekend's sugar fix - a St Clement's Cake.


 It has alternating layers of lemon sponge and orange sponge, filled with vanilla buttercream and chocolate buttercream. It was delicious, and you can really taste the citrus flavours.
 

There is a recipe - here.    I followed the recipe out of an old Good Food mag, but they don't seem to have it online.  This linked recipe is by the same people, but is a slightly larger cake than I made.
If you want the smaller version   (2 x 20cm tins) email me. :-))

7 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sure the aches and pains will be worthy it when you're whipping up scrummy meals with your home grown veggies. Your cake looks delicious.

Aileen said...

Wow that cake looks delish. Put me in the mood to bake but I'm trying to start a diet (since christmas actually) Lol. x

Lee said...

Ooooh WOW,now that's what i call a cake.I must have your recipe please,will email you.I LOVE BAKING.Happy veggi growing lol.xxx

Anonymous said...

What a cake and what a photo too; you could give the mag a run for their money!! Since I've been going to the school allotment I've been thinking of growing my own veg too.... maybe next year! xx

chrissy xx said...

WoW! Do this look Yummy?? It sure does. Mmmmm.
Hope you're feeling a little better this afternoon No gain without pain lol.!!!
Chrissyxx

Juls said...

Hi There,

I am still playing catch up in blogland at the mo ...I have loved having a look round your blog at all that I have missed, such a fabulous collection of card I especially loved the chandilier one, so stylish!!!

This cake looks delish, I have been baking today, I wish the results of my efforts were more like this! I only attempted scones, and they look burnt and really heavy, I dont know what I have done, I have been making scones since I was about 6, and I have never had a batch this bad!!!

Take care
Hugs Juls

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

MMmmmmmmmmmmmm I can taste every light buttercream mouthful, mmmm lovely yum yum.

My hubby and son don't like cake so I never bake any,just as well 'cause the oven thermometer has gone. lol I do have a work mate (male) who brings in the most heavenly to die for coffee cake. So I can have my fix lol